Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Screaming Thanksgiving...

And now I bring you a short story from this years Thanksgiving that is sure to warm the heart and maybe make your stomach hurt a little bit...okay maybe just my stomach.

It's always nice to contribute to Thanksgiving dinner when going to someone else's home. Some people make a nice side dish, bring those yam things or maybe make a pie or two. But, when all else fails why not bring some wine...well that's exactly what I did. I opened the cupboard above the stove to grab a few bottles, many that I've accumulated over the years as gifts or thank yous. Reaching way in the back I grab a
sleak black bottle with sleak black label and shiny red foil wrapper on top. The bottle was a gift from Dr. Dre, a thank you for showing his daughter around the set of Hannah Montana. Perfect! A fancy looking bottle, probably a few hundred dollars...what a great thing to bring to Thanksgiving.

Dinner is ready! From the kitchen I hear, "Who brought the Screaming Eagle?" ...This would be the name of the
sleak black bottle with sleak black label and shiny red foil wrapper on top. Next comes, "This is one nice bottle of wine," followed by, "Wow, where did you get this?" So, I proceeded to name drop as every good Hollywood-type should and mention it was a gift from the good Dr. In a matter of minutes the bottle was emptied into various glasses, non of which were mine. No big deal, Im not really a fan of the old fancy grape juice myself. Great, the wine was a hit, and for another year I was free from having to make a side dish or pie that doesn't get eaten because there's always too much food made on Thanksgiving.

Cut to...A few hours later.


Im home now. Sufficiently stuffed, exhausted from the over consumption of carbs in such a short span of time. However, I muster up just enough energy to turn on my laptop as I lay on the couch watching a tivoed "How i Met Your Mother." (great show by the way). Check the bank balance, and quickly reach the end of the internet. But, just before I turn the computer off, Ive got an idea. I don't really know much about wine, I think I'll google "Screaming Eagle," the name of the
sleak black bottle with sleak black label and shiny red foil wrapper on top. Wine trading websites, wine retailers, wine connoisseur magazines...quite a few hits on the old google for the sleak black bottle with sleak black label and shiny red foil wrapper on top. Lets just say this this wine is no close relative to "2 Buck Chuck."...

Average Price....$1700.00 US Dollars



To quantify, that's....
A Mortgage payment...or
550 gallons of gas...or
6800 packs of Juicy Fruit gum

...WOW!!!

After I stopped crying and laughing, and then crying again, I said to myself, "At least this will make a good story..." So, Im glad my family got to enjoy the expensive
sleak black bottle with sleak black label and shiny red foil wrapper on top, and I thank Dr. Dre's family for such a nice gift. I just wish I could tell you what a $1700 dollar bottle of wine tastes like.



7 comments:

See Sherm Blog said...

SERIOUSLY??!! $1700 and you didn't get a SINGLE DROP!?!?!?!?! BUMMER! Ok... now onto the REAL story... YOU MET Dr. Dre? Must have made a good impression to get that bottle of wine. Wouldn't it be nice to have that kind of money, that you could buy a $1700 bottle of wine and not worry about how you're going to pay your mortgage. Crazy.

See Sherm Blog said...

Ok... and BTW... $1700 was NOT the average price I found. That was the LOWEST. It goes up to like $5400 depending on the year! Insane!

See Sherm Blog said...

oh wait... $5400 was a 3 pack. Never mind.

StepheLynne said...

I can't even comprehend the magnitude of events that comprise this story...
but I loved reading it! You're a great story teller. And I couldn't contribute a $1700 bottle of wine, nor name dropping ability, but I'd LOVE to come visit you some day and see what you do!

Olive Oyl said...

OMG. And I thought I was going over the top when I spent $24 on a bottle of wine at a winery... ay ay ay.

Sorry Matt, if you show little Sammy around the set some day, all you are getting is a hug and a thank you note from the kid...

...or maybe a nice bottle of 2-buck chuck. :)

Not Your Stepford Wife said...

That is crazy! I can't imagine ANY wine tasting $1700 worth (trying to make you feel better that you didn't get a taste). I also can't believe that you didn't immediately look up the price of a gift coming from a millionaire. :) Sorry Matt!

lorieloo said...

that is ridiculous!!!!

omigosh!